ANIMALS IN NIGERIA
Animals, especially farm wildlife, are a big part of human lives in Nigeria. Whether you want to get a pet, start a farm, participate in a sport, or get something to eat. Whatever your reason is, they do well to serve all those purposes flawlessly.
Nigeria is a country with diverse ecosystems, including plains, swamps, deserts, mountains, and jungles. Therefore, you can find many different forms of wildlife in Nigeria, and the conditions are also favorable for a variety of them. Specifically, there are over 22,000 vertebrate and invertebrate species, about 20,000 insect species, 1,000 bird species, 1,000 fish species, 247 mammals, and 123 reptile species.
While the bulk of these numbers are wildlife, there is also a reasonable amount of domestic ones to serve your needs, and the good news is, you can buy them all on Jiji.
Different animals in Nigeria
Cattle, goats, sheep, donkey, rabbits, turkey, Fowls, Ducks, Pigs, fish, etc
Horses, bulls, dogs, cats, rabbits, etc
Dogs, cats, rabbits, doves, pigeons, parrots, etc
Mouse, rabbits, beetles, birds, guinea pigs, etc
Goats, cows, dogs, cats, fish, turkey, fowls, rabbits, horses, monkeys, etc
Lions, giraffes, snakes, crocodiles, alligators, chimpanzees, monkeys, etc
Reasons why people get animals
Some of these reasons include that;
- Animals provide many foods people enjoy. Meat, milk, and eggs are examples of foods derived from such sources. Some can offer more than just one food product. For example, a chicken is not grown only for the meats it produces, but it is mainly raised for its eggs for human consumption. Those consumed as food include;
- Mammals like cattle, dogs, goats, deer, rabbits, sheep, pigs, etc
- Non-mammals such as chickens, ducks, turkey, guinea fowl, catfish, salmon, tilapia, etc.
- Insects such as crickets
- Crustaceans such as crayfish, crabs, prawns, shrimps, lobsters, snails, etc
- Reptiles such as alligators, crocodiles, turtles, etc.
- Some people use them for research purposes. These include mice, rats, birds, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, pigs, sheep, dogs, primates (including monkeys), and cats.
- Some keep them for sporting or recreational purposes. These are majorly domesticated ones, and they include horses, bulls, dogs, and cocks. Horses are the most versatile sporting animal, participating on a large scale in sports besides racing and rodeos. If you’re looking to enjoy activities such as; recreational horse riding, horse racing, greyhound racing, rodeos, etc., then getting one may be worth considering.
- Others are commonly bought and kept as pets. They include rabbits, ferrets, pigs, rodents (such as gerbils, rats, and mice), avian pets (such as parrots, passerines, and fowls), reptile pets (such as alligators, crocodiles, and snakes), aquatic pets (such as fish from freshwater and saltwater). Pet keeping can be described as a symbiotic relationship as it benefits both animals and human beings. The keeping of pets satisfies a deep, universal human need.
- Another reason is for a business like livestock farming, which is usually combined with producing crops. They include sheep, chickens, cows, goats, pigs, etc. This form of agriculture has a high demand due to its meat that has many nutritional benefits to health. It is a very lucrative business but can be challenging.
How do you get yours?
If you would like to buy any of those highlighted for any of the reasons stated above, there are several ways to get the perfect one that suits your needs. However, to make sure you do not fall for scams or overpay, you can check out different breeds and species that might interest you from those available for sale on Jiji.