OTHER CVs IN NIGERIA
As we already know, a curriculum vitae is a straightforward summary of your schooling, credential, aptitudes, and work-based knowledge used when soliciting for a job. It is your initial chance to tell a recruiter what you are capable of. A good curriculum vitae has to be:
- Detailed and precise
- Aimed at the position, you’re putting in for
- Communicate an idea of what you’d be like if you’re selected
- Professional and engage the employer
Types of CVs
The way you convey your abilities, accomplishments, and intentions in your curriculum vitae is vital, so choosing the right for the job you’re requesting is necessary. There are two significant types:
- Chronological (or traditional),
- Skills-based (or functional).
In this type of curriculum vitae, the most recent details are listed first under relevant titles. It may be the best for you if you;
- Have familiarity and capabilities that are closely associated with the position you’re applying for
- Wish to hit on career advancement
- Have had predominantly consecutive jobs with no spaces
- Skills-based or functional
In this type, you focus more on your skills and personal qualities than your career record. It may be best for you if you;
- Want to demonstrate transferable skills acquired from experience.
- Have substantial extents between your career journey.
- Other CVs
While the above résumés are widely used and will be ethical for many jobs and circumstances, some industries may have different requirements. That may include;
- A hybrid résumé that combines both the chronological and skills-based/functional curriculum vitae. They will be suitable if you wish to highlight specific skills or accomplishments.
- Technical résumés which are required for IT roles
- Creative industries curriculum vitae which is suitable for functions like marketing, design, journalism, etc
- Video qualifications, which is prominent in customer-facing and creative roles.
- An academic curriculum vitae is usually required for research positions. They comprise comprehensive information about your research and appropriate background.
Fundamental points for building other CVs
Endeavour to develop a ‘master’ curriculum vitae you can adjust to specific positions you are applying for. It should comprise a span of abilities, traits, and successes. To land the right job, you should follow these steps;
- Gather important information that you require to build your qualifications, such as important dates, relevant qualifications, contact information, etc.
- Decide on the correct résumé type as the different formats serve other purposes for work types and existing situations.
- Formulate a personal profile (or career summary) as this is a necessary aspect of your CV that shows an overview of your type of person and personality. Make sure to adjust it to any job role you are soliciting for and stress particular qualities that match that position, all written in the third person.
- Be succinct while creating your résumé and arrange the content to not be above two sides of A4. Be sure to attract recruiter attention to essential details by highlighting them with headings and bullet points.
- Always go through the entire document, edit, and proofread to make sure every detail is accurate and the correct grammar and spelling are used. Ensure that about ⅔ of your document meets the needs of recruiters.
- Modify your curriculum vitae for the job you are soliciting by illustrating your accomplishments while explaining how your assistance made a difference.
Log on to Jiji to check available opportunities to apply for NOW!