Goiter is an abnormal enlargement of the thyroid gland by producing too much hormone (hyperthyroidism) or too less hormones (hypothyroidism). It is characterized by swelling at the back of neck, difficulty breathing, and discomfort while swallowing. The thyroid gland produces two types of hormones, called triiodothyronine(T3) and thyroxine(T4), which help to regulate blood circulation and metabolism.
The pituitary gland and hypothalamus control the rate at which the thyroid gland produces and releases these hormones. Goiter occurs when too much or too little of T3 and T4 hormone is produced and released. Goiter is also caused by Iodine deficiency, Graves’ diseases (thyroid gland produce excess thyroxine), Hashimoto’s disease (underactive thyroid or hypothyroidism), Multinodular goiter (solid or fluid filled lumps known as nodules develop on both the sides of thyroid gland), Solitary thyroid nodules (Single nodule develop on one part of the gland), Thyroid cancer (enlarge on one side of thyroid), Pregnancy (HCG cause the gland to enlarge), Inflammation (thyroiditis is the main cause that makes over or underproduction of T4)
Herbs that do the job
Dandelion leaves reduce swelling in the neck
Garlic reduces swelling, and it encourages the production of glutathione, a molecule that helps maintain a healthy thyroid gland. It has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory property and plant chemicals help function body cell and cure the problem. Cook with garlic and chew fresh garlic cloves to prevent goiter, and follow the processes below to treat it.
Foods Rich in Iodine
Iodine deficiency is a major cause for goiter. Adding iodine-rich foods to your regular diet will help prevent goiter. As with all else, iodine must be used in proper dosages
The foods listed below contain plenty of iodine.
• Seafood • Iodized salt • Kale • cabbage • Shrimp
• Milk • Cod • Baked potato with peel
• Navy beans • Tuna • Cranberries
• Kelp • Plain yogurt • Turkey • Eggs
• Selenium-Rich Foods
• Like Iodine, selenium plays a major role in keeping the thyroid gland healthy and functioning properly. During synthesis process, selenium convert into various types of selenoproteins and help the production of thyroid hormones and protects the thyroid gland against goiter. Eat below listed foods to prevent goiter.
• Green Tea
• Green tea has stimulating and energy boosting properties that help to enhance the proper functioning of thyroid gland. Green tea contains naturally-occurring fluorides and anti-oxidants that protect your glands from toxins and free radicals.
• Eat fresh fruits like pineapple, oranges, apples, papayas, etc and vegetables, especially leafy greens.
• Include iodine and selenium foods in your diet to prevent the goiter.
• Avoid processed, spicy, and greasy foods.
• Drink plenty of water and organic fruit and vegetable juices.
• Eat iron rich foods to get relief from goiter and to strengthen the thyroid gland.
• Eat plenty of foods rich in vitamin A such as sweet potatoes, red pepper, leafy green vegetables, carrots, butternut squash, cayenne, paprika, liver pate, dried herb, cantaloupe, apricot (dried), mangoes, tomatoes, milk and green peas in your diet.
• Eat plenty of foods rich in vitamin B such as dairy products, cereals, beans, pulses, salmon, meat, tuna, herring, seeds, Brussels, broccoli, corn, okra, parsnips, raspberries, dates, grapefruits, avocadoes, watermelon and sprouts.
• Instead of eating 3 large meals a day, eat 5-6 small ones to regulate your metabolism.
• Reduce your intake of gluten.
Swissgarde products that can be used for this condition include :