Art therapists use visual art media to help people who may struggle to communicate verbally to express their feelings and confront difficult emotional issues.
People who are referred to an art therapist don't need to have experience of, or be good at art; it's simply used as a medium to enable them to communicate and to help with awareness and self-development.
Therapy may be carried out in group or one-to-one settings and you may work closely with other healthcare professionals in a multidisciplinary team.
Art therapists may also be known as art psychotherapists.
Duties and Responsibilities
As an art therapist, you'll need to:
• To assist the Program Director/ Principal in insuring the quality.
• Lead therapeutic groups which allows clients to expresses themselves through art in a safe environment.
• Assesses individual residents/students with respect to their status, abilities, interests and needs.
• Responsible for weekly progress notes and reporting the residents/students progress.
• Assess the status of each resident to determine safety needs and makes individual appropriate accommodations when needed.
• Develops cooperative relationships with all members of the multiple –disciplinary team.
• Assists children in building self-esteem, and problem-solving as well as giving him/her the opportunity to express him/herself through art.
• Maintains quality of services.
• Participates as a member of treatment conferences, staff meetings, supervision sessions, etc.
• Demonstrates professional ethics and leadership.
• Maintains and supports the behavior management system in adherence with regulating policies.
• Maintains client files.
• Provides weekly progress notes and reporting the residents/students progress. Provides written reports and assessments as per policy.
• Submits written updates of students/clients progress to families, guardians or other designated parties.
• Assess the needs of the client by listening and providing guidance;
• Work creatively with various client groups in a therapeutic setting, ensuring a safe and secure environment;
• Enable clients to explore their artwork and the process they used to create it;
• Assess and understand the feelings or temperament of others;
• Constructively challenge the behaviour and attitude of your clients;
• Attend meetings and case conferences to share ideas, expertise and good practice;
• Keep up to date with administration tasks;
• Maintain art therapy space and materials;
• Receive support and discuss ideas in individual supervision;
• Explore opportunities for work where it may not currently exist;
• Present a case to other professionals on reasons for employing an art therapist;
• Keep up to date with developments in the profession by attending seminars, lectures, and workshops.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required:
• Exhibits positive human relation skills.
• Demonstrates proficiency in written and oral communication.
• Demonstrates knowledge of principles and practice.
• Demonstrates ability to establish and maintain effective working relations.
• Demonstrates ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and choosing an appropriate course of action.
• Demonstrates empathy and compassion in conduct towards clients/students.
• Demonstrates respect, cooperation, consideration and tact in dealing with subordinates, peers, supervisors and others.
• An interest in, and commitment to, the visual arts;
• Excellent observation and listening skills;
• The ability to facilitate learning and encourage participation;
• The capacity to empathise with people who may have difficulties in communicating either their feelings or their pain, and gain their trust;
• The ability to work effectively with individuals and in groups;
• Creativity and imagination;
• An understanding of client confidentiality and how to deal with sensitive issues;
• Flexibility, sensitivity, emotional stability and an ability to recognise your own strengths and weaknesses.
• Self Control.
• Stress Tolerance.
• Attention to Detail.
• Concern for Others.
• Analytical Thinking.
• first degree in fine art, visual arts or art and design
• Specialize training in Art therapy/Pschotherapy
• At least three years of working experience is also required
Mode of Application
• Interested candidates should forward their CV details to hrm.sigmaegisconcepts @gmail.com
• Candidates can also opt to send their Fullnames, Date of Birth, Current contact address, Valid phone number, Age, Years of experience and Job applying for to 08*********
• Candidates can also opt to send their Fullnames, Date of Birth, Current contact address, Valid phone number, Age, Years of experience and Job applying for to the advert message box.
• Candidates should comply with all requirements and instructions enlisted failure to do so will lead to AUTOMATIC disqualification.
• Candidates should only call the phone number attached to the advert daily during working hours of 8am-4pm (Monday-Saturday).
• Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted