Art therapists use visual art media to help people who may struggle to communicate verbally to express their feelings and confront difficult emotional issues.
People who are referred to an <span class='h-bold'>art therapist</span> don't need to have experience of, or be good at art; it's simply used as a medium to enable them to communicate and to help with awareness and self-development.
Therapy may be carried out in group or one-to-one settings and you may work closely with other healthcare professionals in a multidisciplinary team.
Art therapists may also be known as art psychotherapists.
Duties and Responsibilities
As an <span class='h-bold'>art therapist</span>, you'll need to:
• To assist the Program Director/ Principal in insuring the quality.
• Lead therapeutic groups which allows clients to expresses themselves through art in a safe environment.
• Assesses individual residents/students with respect to their status, abilities, interests and needs.
• Responsible for weekly progress notes and reporting the residents/students progress.
• Assess the status of each resident to determine safety needs and makes individual appropriate accommodations when needed.
• Develops cooperative relationships with all members of the multiple –disciplinary team.
• Assists children in building self-esteem, and problem-solving as well as giving him/her the opportunity to express him/herself through art.
• Maintains quality of services.
• Participates as a member of treatment conferences, staff meetings, supervision sessions, etc.
• Demonstrates professional ethics and leadership.
• Maintains and supports the behavior management system in adherence with regulating policies.
• Maintains client files.
• Provides weekly progress notes and reporting the residents/students progress. Provides written reports and assessments as per policy.
• Submits written updates of students/clients progress to families, guardians or other designated parties.
• Assess the needs of the client by listening and providing guidance;
• Work creatively with various client groups in a therapeutic setting, ensuring a safe and secure environment;
• Enable clients to explore their artwork and the process they used to create it;
• Assess and understand the feelings or temperament of others;
• Constructively challenge the behaviour and attitude of your clients;
• Attend meetings and case conferences to share ideas, expertise and good practice;
• Keep up to date with administration tasks;
• Maintain art therapy space and materials;
• Receive support and discuss ideas in individual supervision;
• Explore opportunities for work where it may not currently exist;
• Present a case to other professionals on reasons for employing an <span class='h-bold'>art therapist</span>;
• Keep up to date with developments in the profession by attending seminars, lectures, and workshops.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required:
• Exhibits positive human relation skills.
• Demonstrates proficiency in written and oral communication.
• Demonstrates knowledge of principles and practice.
• Demonstrates ability to establish and maintain effective working relations.
• Demonstrates ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and choosing an appropriate course of action.
• Demonstrates empathy and compassion in conduct towards clients/students.
• Demonstrates respect, cooperation, consideration and tact in dealing with subordinates, peers, supervisors and others.
• An interest in, and commitment to, the visual arts;
• Excellent observation and listening skills;
• The ability to facilitate learning and encourage participation;
• The capacity to empathise with people who may have difficulties in communicating either their feelings or their pain, and gain their trust;
• The ability to work effectively with individuals and in groups;
• Creativity and imagination;
• An understanding of client confidentiality and how to deal with sensitive issues;
• Flexibility, sensitivity, emotional stability and an ability to recognise your own strengths and weaknesses.
• Self Control.
• Stress Tolerance.
• Attention to Detail.
• Concern for Others.
• Analytical Thinking.
• first degree in fine art, visual arts or art and design
• Specialize training in Art therapy/Pschotherapy
• At least three years of working experience is also required
Mode of Application
• Interested candidates should forward their CV details to hrm.sigmaegisconcepts @gmail.com
• Candidates can also opt to send their Fullnames, Date of Birth, Current contact address, Valid phone number, Age, Years of experience and Job applying for to 08*********
• Candidates can also opt to send their Fullnames, Date of Birth, Current contact address, Valid phone number, Age, Years of experience and Job applying for to the advert message box.
• Candidates should comply with all requirements and instructions enlisted failure to do so will lead to AUTOMATIC disqualification.
• Candidates should only call the phone number attached to the advert daily during working hours of 8am-4pm (Monday-Saturday).
• Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted