13 Grapefruit Essential Oil Benefits — Starting with Weight Loss
We’ve known for decades that grapefruit can benefit weight loss, but the possibility of using concentrated grapefruit essential oil for the same effects is now becoming more popular. Grapefruit oil, which is extracted from the rind of the grapefruit plant, has been used for centuries to help beat inflammation, weight gain, sugar cravings and even hangover symptoms. It’s also considered a natural stress-fighter, anti-inflammatory agent, antioxidant food and anticarcinogenic agent.
Even though the pulp of grapefruit has plenty of its own benefits — including being a popular fat-burning food — grapefruit essential oil actually comes from the peel of the fruit, which holds a range of beneficial volatile compounds.
As one of the most versatile essential oils, the aroma of grapefruit oil is clean, fresh and a little bit bitter, just like the actual fruit itself. It has the signature taste and smell of citrus fruits, which is why many people like to use it in natural household cleaning products and homemade beauty lotions, soaps or cosmetics.
What Is Grapefruit Essential Oil?
Grapefruit essential oil is a potent extract derived from the Citrus paradisi grapefruit plant.
Grapefruit essential oil benefits include:
Cleansing the body
Stimulating the immune system
Decreasing fluid retention
Curbing sugar cravings
Helping with weight loss
Most commonly, grapefruit oil is used to fight throat and respiratory infections, fatigue, muscle aches, as well as a natural remedy for arthritis. It’s also been used consistently by those working to lose weight. It’s said to help increase energy levels and metabolism, plus it also can help curb sugar cravings.
As a natural detoxification agent, grapefruit oil can help the liver cleanse the body of toxins and waste, plus it can activate your lymphatic system and control fluid retention.
11 Grapefruit Essential Oil Benefits
1. Helps to Boost Weight Loss
Ever been told that grapefruit is one of the best fruits to eat for weight loss and fat-burning? Well, that’s because some of grapefruit’s active ingredients work to boost your metabolism and reduce your appetite. When inhaled or applied topically, grapefruit oil is known to lower cravings and hunger, which makes it a great tool for losing weight fast in a healthy way. Of course, using grapefruit oil alone isn’t going to make all the difference — but when it’s combined with dietary and lifestyle changes, it can be beneficial.
Grapefruit essential oil also works as an excellent diuretic and lymphatic stimulant. This is one reason why it’s included in many cellulite creams and blends that are used for dry brushing. Additionally, grapefruit can be very effective for shedding excess water weight loss since it helps kick-start a sluggish lymphatic system.
2. Works as Natural Antibacterial Agent
Grapefruit oil has antimicrobial effects that help reduce or eliminate harmful strains of bacteria that enter the body through contaminated foods, water or parasites. .
Grapefruit is also used to kill skin or internal bacteria and fungus, fight mold growth, kill parasites in animal feeds, preserve food, and disinfect water.
3. Helps to Reduce Stress
The smell of grapefruit is uplifting, soothing and clarifying. It’s known to relieve stress and bring on feelings of peace and relaxation.
4. Helps to Relieve Hangover Symptoms
Grapefruit oil is a powerful gallbladder and liver stimulant, so it can help stop headaches, cravings and sluggishness following a day of drinking alcohol. It works to increase detoxification and urination, while putting a hold on cravings that can occur due to hormonal and blood sugar level changes resulting from alcohol.
5. Reduces Sugar Cravings
Feel like you’re always looking for something sweet? Grapefruit oil may help to reduce sugar cravings and help kick that sugar addiction. Limonene, one of the primary components in grapefruit oil, has shown to balance blood sugar levels and reduce appetite
6. Boosts Circulation and Reduces Inflammation
Therapeutic-grade citrus essential oils are known for their ability to help lower inflammation and increase blood flow. The blood vessel-dilating effects of grapefruit may be useful as a natural remedy for PMS cramps, headaches, bloating, fatigue and muscle pains.
7. Aids Digestion
Increased blood to the digestive organs — including the bladder, liver, stomach and kidneys — means that grapefruit oil also helps with detoxification. It has a positive effect on digestion, can help you shed fluid retention, and fights microbes within the intestines, gut and other digestive organs.
8. Works as a Natural Energizer and Mood Booster
As one of the most popular oils used in aromatherapy, grapefruit oil can increase your mental focus and give you a natural pick-me-up. When inhaled, its stimulating effects also make it effective for reducing headaches, sleepiness, brain fog, mental fatigue and even poor moods.
Grapefruit oil may even beneficial for healing adrenal fatigue symptoms like low motivation, aches and sluggishness. Some people like to use grapefruit as a mild, natural antidepressant since it can increase alertness while also calming nerves.
9. Helps to Fight Acne and Improve Skin Health
Many commercially made lotions and soaps contain citrus oils because of their antibacterial and anti-aging properties. Not only may grapefruit essential oil help to fight bacteria and greasiness that can cause acne blemishes, but it may also be useful for keeping your skin’s immunity strong against indoor and outdoor air pollution and UV light damage — plus it may even help you get rid of cellulite. Grapefruit essential oil has also been found to help heal wounds, cuts and bites, and to prevent skin infections.
10. Improves Hair Health
grapefruit oil has antibacterial effects and enhances the susceptibility of microorganisms that are normally resistant. For this reason, grapefruit oil may help to cleanse your hair and scalp thoroughly when it’s added to your shampoo or conditioner. You can also use grapefruit oil to reduce greasy hair, while adding volume and shine. Plus, if you color your hair, grapefruit oil might also be able to protect strands from sunlight damage.
11. Enhances Flavor
Grapefruit oil can be used to naturally add a touch of citrus flavor to your meals, seltzer, smoothies and water. This helps to increase your satiety after eating, curb cravings for carbs and sweets, and it improves digestion after a meal.
9 Grapefruit Essential Oil Uses
Grapefruit essential oil can be used aromatically, topically and internally. Here’s a quick breakdown of the best ways to use grapefruit oil safely and effectively:
Aromatically: Grapefruit oil can be diffused throughout your home using an oil diffuser or inhaled directly from the bottle. Try this method by inhaling grapefruit vapors to help the body let go of bloating and retained water, headaches, stress, and depression.
Topically: When using grapefruit oil on your skin, it should be diluted with equal parts of a carrier oil, like coconut or jojoba oil. Combine the two and then rub them onto any area in need, including sore muscles, acne-prone skin or your abdomen to improve digestion.
Internally: Using grapefruit oil internally is ONLY recommended with a very high-quality, pure grade oil brand. You can add a drop to water or take it as a dietary supplement by mixing 1-2 drops with honey or a smoothie. It’s recognized as safe for consumption by the FDA, but only when you use a 100 percent pure, therapeutic-grade essential oil that only includes one ingredient: grapefruit (Citrus paradisi) rind oil.
Here are the top grapefruit essential oil uses:
1. Reduce Cravings: Add 1–2 drops of grapefruit oil to your water, inhale it directly from the bottle, diffuse 5 drops in your office or home, or massage 2-3 drops into your chest and wrists when a craving strikes.
2. Relieve Stress: Add 2–3 drops to a sterile cotton ball along with a touch of coconut oil. Then rub the mixture it into your wrists, neck or chest. You can also diffuse 5 drops of grapefruit or inhale it directly from the bottle.
3. Ease Hangover: Diffuse 5 drops of grapefruit essential oil in your home, add 1–2 drops to a glass of water, or apply 1–2 drops topically to your temples and neck.
4. Improve Skin Health: As a natural acne treatment or skin salve, combine 1≠2 drops of grapefruit oil with about half a teaspoon of nourishing coconut or jojoba oil. Then apply the mixture once or twice daily on the affected area.
5. Eliminate Odors: To get rid of unpleasant odors in your kitchen, appliances and bathrooms, diffuse 5 drops of grapefruit oil along with other citrus scents like lemon essential oil and orange oil. While your house fills with a clean scent, you also eliminate odor-causing bacteria from the air. Additionally, you can use a small amount of grapefruit essential oil on wooden surfaces, countertops, floors or in household appliances to kill bacteria and odor naturally.
6. Boost Circulation: Add 2–3 drops of grapefruit oil to a nightly bath, place some on your shirt collar or dap 1-2 drops onto your wrists.
7. Aid Digestion: Make a homemade massage lotion with 3–5 drops of grapefruit oil and equal parts coconut or jojoba oil. Then rub the mixture onto your abdomen to aid digestion.
8. Boost Energy and Mood: Inhale grapefruit oil directly from the bottle, diffuse 5 drops at home or work, or rub 2-3 drops onto your wrists.
9. Improve Hair Health: Add 2-3 drops of grapefruit oil to your shampoo or conditioner and massage it into your scalp and hair. You can also add 1-2 drops of grapefruit to a small amount of coconut oil and rub the mixture into your clean, damp hair after bathing.