Barberry has long been used as a home remedy for a wide assortment of ailments, health problems, and illnesses. It is believed to have been used in Indian folk remedies for over 2,500 years, and some even speculate that it was present in the crown worn by Jesus Christ–hence the name “Holy Thorn”.
Regardless of its origin, there’s no denying its amazing benefits!
Here are just a few of the healthy uses of barberry:
1. Infection killer — You’d be amazed by how potent barberry extract can be! It contains a compound called berberine, which is effective at dealing with UTIs, bladder infections, gastrointestinal infections, respiratory tract infections, yeast infections, and even skin infections. Wherever there are bacteria to be killed, barberry gets the job done.
2. Immune boost – – Thanks to the bacteria-killing properties of berberine, barberry extract is a potent immune booster. You’ll find that taking the extract will help to kill off a lot of the bacteria in your body, freeing up your immune system to focus on other threats. The extract will also help your immune system to work better, increasing the production of the antibodies that get rid of bacteria.
3. Heart-friendly — Barberry extract is believed to benefit your heart and cardiovascular system, which is why so many people take it to deal with problems like hypertension (high blood pressure), tachycardia, and more. It can help to keep your heart functioning properly, reducing your risk of cardiovascular disease.
4. Brain stabilizer – – Thanks to the potent compounds in the barberry extract, your brain will function a lot better and your risk of neuronal disorders will decrease. Barberry extract has been used as a remedy for seizures and epilepsy, and it can help to improve the function of your neural system.
5. Cancer obliterator – – Barberry extract (like many other remedies) contains antioxidant properties, meaning it can help to reduce the presence of free radicals and toxins in your body. While there have been few scientific studies to prove it, it is believed that barberry extract can be a potent anti-cancer agent, at least for a few specific types of cancer.
6. Diarrhea eliminator – – Taking barberry extract is a common remedy for diarrhea, specifically the type caused by food poisoning or exposure to new and unfamiliar foods (also known as traveler’s diarrhea). It’s believed that barberry can help to clear up your digestive problems more quickly than your average antibiotic, particularly if the diarrhea is bacterial in nature. Barberry has astringent properties, making it a potent bacteria killer. It’s recommended that you take barberry along with regular antibiotics, though the barberry extract may reduce the potency of the medication.
7. Detoxifying agent – – For those worried about the health of their liver, barberry is a good remedy to consider. Not only does it help to reduce toxicity in the body, but it can stimulate your liver–thereby increasing its function.
8. Eye health booster – – Did you know that taking barberry extract can help to improve your eye health? Berberine is a compound that will benefit your eyes, and you’ll find that taking barberry extract will make it easier for you to deal with conjunctivitis–a bacterial infection of your eye.
All in all, barberry extract is definitely one of the most potent remedies around, if not the most common. For those who need rapid healing, it’s definitely an extract worth considering. It will certainly get the job done right!